About The Kaʻū Calendar

Ka`u, Hawai`i, United States
A locally owned and run community newspaper (www.kaucalendar.com) distributed in print to all Ka`u District residents of Ocean View, Na`alehu, Pahala, Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park, Volcano Village and Miloli`i on the Big Island of Hawai`i. This blog is where you can catch up on what's happening daily with our news briefs. This blog is provided by The Ka`u Calendar Newspaper (kaucalendar.com), Pahala Plantation Cottages (pahalaplantationcottages.com), Local Productions, Inc. and the Edmund C. Olson Trust.

Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Ka`u News Briefs June 1, 2011

Kamehame Bay is the destination of a Friends of Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park hike this weekend.
Photo by Steve Rayner
HAWAI`I’S VISITOR INDUSTRY is rebounding, with spending up more than 20 percent across the state this April over spending during the same month last year. The Hawai`i Tourism Authority reported that total visitor spending increased to $920.7 million by 581,324 visitors. The visitor count was up 5.3 percent.

GOV. NEIL ABERCROMBIE signed Senate Bill 883 into law yesterday, designating a gold star for license plates on the vehicles of children, parents, grandparents and siblings of fallen military service members. The star will be imprinted on the left side of license plates in a manner similar to congressional and honorary consul license plates. Family members would be able to purchase the Gold Star Family license plates for a fee. Families of fallen military service members, along with Tammy Duckworth, assistant secretary for public and intergovernmental affairs in the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, attended the bill signing. Hawai`i is the 49th state to adopt a Gold Star Family license plate. Maine is the remaining state without one. The license plates will be available by October.

THE 2011 HURRICANE SEASON begins today in the Atlantic and started two weeks ago in the Pacific. While the outlook for the Atlantic is very active, the Pacific outlook is milder. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts the following for the Eastern Pacific: a 70 percent chance of a below-normal season, a 25 percent chance of a near-normal season, and only a 5 percent chance of an above normal season. NOAA expects 9-15 named storms, five to eight hurricanes and one to three major hurricanes in the Eastern Pacific. The names chosen for storms this year include Adrian, Beatriz, Calvin, Dora, Eugene, Fernanda, Greg, Hilary, Irwin, Jova and Kenneth.

Ormoc City is run largely by this geothermal plant.
THE SISTER CITY RELATIONSHIP between Ormoc City in the Philippines and Hawai`i County was approved on first reading yesterday. The proposal, put forth by Council member Brittany Smart, will go before the full Council on June 15. The island is almost entirely powered by geothermal energy, with the rest of the electricity coming from hydroelectric plants. “There is a lot to learn from our Filipino friends,” Smart said. 

THE HAWAI`I COUNTY FINANCE COMMITTEE has approved the eminent domain process regarding land to be used to build the Ocean View Transfer Station, giving the county clear title to the land. The last reading is June 15 before the full Council. 

THE HAWAI`I VOLCANOES INSTITUTE, part of Friends of Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park, sponsors a hike along the Ka`u Coast this Saturday. The five-mile round-trip interpretive program, led by park ranger Jay Robinson, follows the Ala Kahakai National Historic Trail from Punalu`u to Kamehame. Call 985-7373 or visit fhvnp.org to register. 

Hawai`i Wildlife Fund organizes beach clean-ups
regularly in Ka`u.
VOLUNTEERS WILL CLEAN UP Kamilo Beach near South Point on Saturday at an event sponsored by Hawai`i Wildlife Fund. Sign up with Megan at 769-7629 or kahakai.cleanups@gmail.com. 

A DINNER AT KAHUKU PARK on Paradise Circle in Ocean View on Saturday will raise funds to support the Summer Fun program there. Dinner is served at 5 p.m. and includes Chef John Repogle’s BBQ pork along with rice, corn and watermelon all for just $5. Beverages are $1, with desserts and other baked goods also on sale. Activities before dinner include a slip and slide, face painting and games. Karaoke is scheduled from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Pre-sale dinner tickets are available. Call Robin at 939-8491 or Genny at 217-5593.