About The Kaʻū Calendar

Ka`u, Hawai`i, United States
A locally owned and run community newspaper (www.kaucalendar.com) distributed in print to all Ka`u District residents of Ocean View, Na`alehu, Pahala, Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park, Volcano Village and Miloli`i on the Big Island of Hawai`i. This blog is where you can catch up on what's happening daily with our news briefs. This blog is provided by The Ka`u Calendar Newspaper (kaucalendar.com), Pahala Plantation Cottages (pahalaplantationcottages.com), Local Productions, Inc. and the Edmund C. Olson Trust.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Ka`u News Briefs Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016

Pahala Hongwanji kitchen is buzzing with activity today, as volunteers prepare for this afternoon's
Obon service and Bon Dance. See more below. Photo by Ron Johnson
WINNERS REPEATED AT VOLCANO Rain Forest Runs yesterday. Billy Barnett, of Hilo, finished first with a time of 1:17:57 in the Half Marathon, winning for the sixth time at the annual event. Michael Sullivan, of Hilo, was second at 1:22:11. Matt House was close behind at 1:23:10.
Billy Barnett, at right, won the Half Marathon,
and Michael Sullivan placed second.
Photo from Sharron Faff
      In the women’s division, Katie O’Neal, of O`ahu, three-peated at 1:22.30, before House in the men’s division. Bree Wee was the second woman to cross the finish line, at 1:28:39, and Malory Peterson followed with a time of 1:31:18.
      Total number of Half Marathon runners was 258.
      Out of 106 10K runners, first through third places went to Crazy Scott, 40:59; Eri MacDonald, 41:04; and Joe Barcia, 42:42.
      Three hundred twenty-one runners finished the 5K. Coday Ranfranz, Adam Bonus and Garrett Hoaglin finished in first through third places at 18:55, 22:03 and 22:12, respectively.
      “A huge mahalo to all the volunteers and vendors who were there before dawn and long after the run was over,” race director Sharron Faff said. “And of course to our runners. You are the reason we do this. Congratulations to all of you, and we hope to see you again next year!”
      To read comments, add your own, and like this story, see Facebook. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

TROPICAL STORM KAY is moving slowly west-northwest in the Eastern Pacific. According to the National Hurricane Center, the cyclone is still over relatively warm waters and in a reasonably moist and light wind shear environment, allowing it to maintain strength for the next 12 hours or so. By 24 hours, the storm should reach significantly cooler waters and encounter considerably less conducive atmospheric conditions. Weakening should begin by that time, with a rapid decay likely in 24 to 48 hours. Remnant low status is expected in two days, with dissipation likely in three days.
Tropical Storm Kay, at bottom right, is expected to weaken as it
heads west-northwest. Map from University of Hawai`i.
      The Central Pacific Hurricane Center is forecasting a 40 percent chance of normal hurricane activity and a 40 percent chance of above-normal activity this year, with only 20 percent likelihood of a below normal season. Normal is about four or five tropical cyclones. Last year marked a record with 15. The lowest number of storms was zero in 1979.
      The Central Pacific Hurricane Center urges Hawai`i residents to be prepared. “You’ll need supplies not only for the duration of the storm but also for the potentially lengthy recovery period that could follow,” CPHC meteorologists said. “Have enough non-perishable food, water and medicine to last each person in your family a minimum of one week. Electricity and water could be out for at least that long. You’ll need extra cash, a battery-powered radio and flashlights. You’ll also need a portable, crank or solar-powered USB charger to charge your cell phone.”
      See http://www.prh.noaa.gov/cphc/pages/news.php.
      To read comments, add your own, and like this story, see Facebook. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

FOLLOWING REPUBLICAN U.S. Congressional candidate Angela Kaaihue’s scathing remarks about District II Rep. Tulsi Gabbard and District I candidate Colleen Hanabusa, Hawai`i’s GOP party chair is urging members to disavow her candidacy.
      “I want it understood by the general public and the media that the recent inflammatory comments made by candidate for Congress Angela Kaaihue do not represent the views, values or the sentiments of our party and its members,” Chad Blair and Nathan Eagle, of Civil Beat, reported Fritz Rohlfing saying in a statement. “Her vulgar, racially-bigoted and religiously intolerant descriptions of Democratic Party candidates are offensive, shameful and unacceptable in public discourse. I unconditionally denounce her despicable statements.”
Angela Kaaihue
      Last week, Kaaihue announced that she is willing to dismiss her candidacy in exchange for Gov. David Ige and his community association dismissing “the second lawsuit against her family’s 82-acre Waimalu land parcel.
      Kaaihue said, “I’ll drop out of this congressional race if my neighbor Gov. Ige and his constituents would leave my lands alone and settle this lawsuit regarding our Waimalu lands. Then, Hawai`i, the mud-slinging will stop, and you can have your so-called ‘perfect’ pathetic Hindu 1,000 gods leader along with your pathetic ‘career politician’ Buddhist Hanabusa, and your pathetic American traitor, and my family and I will go our merrily way. It’s obvious Republicans always lose, and for Tulsi, she won’t have to face any more ridicules concerning her ‘moon-crater cheeks’ and her beliefs. In addition, the lack of and non-existent support from the Hawai`i Republican party, Hawaiian community and Kaaihue family members is very disconcerting.
      “Unless I see a huge turn-around or a significant sign from God, I ask myself why should I put myself and my family through this grueling uphill battle ugly road for the next three months?
      “Who am I to be your messenger and to stand up for God and to convince unrepentant, unforgiving, unappreciative sinners, and to ask God for his forgiveness?
      “That’s how locals are, a bunch of losers, stated anonymously.
      “I most certainly don’t want to or need to affiliate myself with this local dumb mentality. Go vote for you Hindu and your Buddha leaders. I’ll drop Tulsi and Colleen, and I’ll stop mudslinging your campaign. Just have Gov. Ige, my neighbors, leave our lands alone and compensate me for my losses.”
      See civilbeat.com.
      To read comments, add your own, and like this story, see Facebook. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

The Guardian, by Susan Litteral, is one work included
in Endemic Understanding. Image from VAC
ENDEMIC UNDERSTATING CONTINUES through next Sunday at Volcano Art Center Gallery in Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park. Local artists are featured in the multi-media exhibit, which showcases the extraordinary biodiversity found within Hawai`i Island’s five national parks. 
      The artists, including Margaret Barnaby, Heide Cumes, Lanaya Deily, Jack Jeffrey, Susan Litteral, Liz Miller and Karen Schuster, were selected from the 2015 Hawai`i Nei exhibition celebrating native species and asked to further investigate the plants, animals and environments found within Hawai`i Island’s national parks yet found nowhere else.
      The exhibit is open to the public daily from 9 am. to 5 p.m. and free of charge. Park entrance fees apply, with the exception of Aug. 25-28, when fees are waived to celebrate National Park Service’s Birthday Weekend.
      To read comments, add your own, and like this story, see Facebook. Follow us on Instagram and Twitter.

KA`U HIGH ALUMNI & FRIENDS’ 15th annual potluck reunion continues until 3 p.m. today. All alumni and interested people are invited to attend and enjoy a day of fun, good food and live music.
      For more information, call Margaret Ann Cabudol at 928-8164 or James Yamaki at 969-6828.

Obon cloths decorate the entrance to Old Japanese Schoolhouse next
to Pahala Hongwanji, where Obon services and Bon Dance
take place later today. Photo by Ron Johnson
the final touches on Pahala Hongwanji, which celebrates Obon season today. Service begins at 4 p.m., with dancing at 5 p.m.
      Honoka`a Hongwanji donated lights and their sound system for the event. Volunteers are expecting many residents of the former, neighboring Japanese Camp to attend.

OASIS IN A DESERT SEA is the topic of Tuesday’s After Dark in the Park program. Dr. Robin Baird, author and research biologist with Cascadia Research Collective, presents a look into the lives of Hawai`i’s resident toothed whales and dolphins. Baird and his colleagues have spent the last 17 years using photo identification, genetics and satellite tagging to present the clearest picture yet of these often misunderstood native mammals.
      The program begins at 7 p.m. at Kilauea Visitor Center Auditorium in Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park.


See kaucalendar.com/KauCalendar_August_2016.pdf.
See kaucalendar.com/TheDirectory2016.html
and kaucalendar.com/TheDirectory2016.pdf.